About Me

My photo
Hi! I'm Katricia Powers, and I've taught first grade in Oklahoma for six years at an amazing school with amazing people. I'm starting my first year as a second grade teacher in Washington State this year, and am so excited! Teaching is my passion along with being mom to three rowdy boys! I am also lucky enough to be happily married to the love of my life.

Sunday, August 28, 2016

Classroom Decorating

I have not fell off the edge of the world…I just feel like it.  I've been nonstop busy working on putting away classroom (and house) items.  All of our things arrived a week into August.  That is ALL OF OUR THINGS!  So I had to get my house in order to start on my classroom.  House was quickly put in order in a week of constant frenzy.   After that, I've been working hard in my classroom.

I've moved classrooms before.  I've moved schools before.  I have never moved across the country with a classroom.  It's much more difficult and costly than most people imagine.  My classroom stuff took up so much of the moving van that we had to leave a few important things behind. :(


This was what the truck looked like when we got all or our household items out!  Eek!  We actually just parked the giant moving truck at the school and unloaded.  I didn't want to unload all of this at my house and slowly take it to the school.

When it got into the classroom, this is what I had to face:


Last week, I worked very hard and was able to get a lot of my classroom decorated.  A couple of tips I would give to any teacher moving with a large amount of classroom stuff:

Tips for Moving Your Classroom Across Country ...Or Anywhere ;)


  1. Get rid of anything that can't be replaced fairly cheaply.
  2. Don't expect to be in the same grade so don't be so grade specific when you pack-it's sometimes cheaper to resupply that to transport old stuff!
  3. Label everything!  We moved classroom and house items together.  Across my classroom boxes, I labeled "Classroom" in large letters.  I added a smaller label with info about what was in the box.
  4. Find out if where you are moving has access to the same school supply stores (or some of equal prices).  For example, I came from a state that had a very cheap school supply store, and now I haven't found anything comparable.
  5. Put all your boxes in one area of the classroom, and begin labeling with Post-its (easily moveable) cabinets and other storage area in your classroom.  Think about what students need to be able to reach, and what you won't be using very frequently.
  6. Begin opening one box at a time, and putting away the contents.  Immediately, break down the box, and add to the collection for the janitors or your pile to take out.
  7. Temporary labels outside of drawers, cabinets, and other storage have been a lifesaver!

I have made a huge dent in the decorating/organizing.  Time to start taking pictures!  Which means…it's almost time for a classroom tour!!!   But for now, I'll show you my most recent work. :)


I'm very excited about my new decorations and my new class!  I'm SUPER excited about my new school, the new kids, and Second Grade!  More classroom pics to come! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment