About Me

My photo
Hi! I'm Katricia Powers, and I've taught first grade in Oklahoma for six years at an amazing school with amazing people. I'm starting my first year as a second grade teacher in Washington State this year, and am so excited! Teaching is my passion along with being mom to three rowdy boys! I am also lucky enough to be happily married to the love of my life.

Friday, September 2, 2016

Classroom Tour

I think I'm ready for kids!  Yay!  Transporting a whole class 2000 miles is a lot of work, but it's done. :)  School starts Tuesday.  Getting the classroom ready has been a lot of work, but I've had some great help.  My husband and sons moved a lot of it, and helped me get it into my class.  My oldest son hung all the high stuff.

Here is a look at my room:
This is the view as you walk into my class.  I love having windows!  I added pennants that I cut from an old Mother Goose book.  My desk is on the left, and under the windows, I have the class library.  The wall to the right when you walk in has a math resource board, and an empty board on the left.  I plan to use the left side for student work so it was left blank.  The bins are for school supplies and won't be left there:

Looking back at the door, I left a lot of curriculum posters up for reference.
I worked a lot on the front of the room since that is where the students look, frequently.  I added letters above the board and left space for students to make pictures to go with the letters.  I also added a focus wall for the ELA curriculum.  I always try to leave some white board because I end up using it, occasionally.  Also, it's helpful if a substitute can use the white board since s/he doesn't usually have access to the Smart Board.  Under the board, is where I put birthdays up.  I usually take a picture of groups of students, all in the same birth month, holding the number date, and then I add it to the circle that has the correct month under the Smart Board.  The table has my Elmo, and some workspace.
Lastly, I have a close up picture of the class library.  I changed my library this year to Lakeshore book bins, and changed the AR levels on the bins.  I use to have a broad AR levels, but I felt that it was better if I marked them a little better this year.
Well, that's it!  I'm ready for second grade!

No comments:

Post a Comment